The main purpose of Street Work is the mapping of areas in which homeless people remain, the physical and psychological support of the homeless, the motivation and awareness of them for the support structures that exist, the referral of homeless people and their escort to social services, along with the monitoring of cases which are considered special. Additional attention is given to the confrontation of the problems which homeless drug addicts face in the City of Athens.
Some quantitative and qualitative characteristics of Street Work:
Period: March 13, 2015 to March 22, 2016.
Approaches: 531 (451), of which 80 include follow-up.
Locations where the approaches took place:
KYADA breadline (295).
Locations in the wider center of Athens (236).
Approaches Hours: 8:50 to 22:10.
Summary of recorded problems homeless people face:
A. Relation – Access to social services:
- Required number of supporting documents for inclusion in a shelter.
- Small number of hostels and equally low availability of beds in Athens.
- Lack of (adequate) public toilets and personal hygiene and cleanliness properties.
- Especially for those who sleep on the streets, there is fear of theft of personal belongings which prevents visits to social services (rations – day centers).
- Theft of official documents (identity cards, residence permits, passports). They remain undocumented for a long period of time due to failure to replace them (for economic and other reasons).
Approximately the 86% of the homeless people are men.
The percentage of Greeks is the largest reaching almost 62%.
The majority of homeless people are included in the age group 30-50 (apx. the 55%).
A large percentage of people became homeless in the last five years (69%).